Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Doing the Whole30 Alone

Hey guys, this is Jordan and he's my boyffriiiennnddd (oOoOoOoOoOoOo)

Whatta pair.

The two of us live together and he has been through this entire Whole30 with me. That being said, no, he is not doing the Whole30.

When I decided to do the Whole30 I floated the idea Jordan's way and he was incredibly supportive. When I asked him if he wanted to do it with me his response was something along the lines of "absolutely not."

 Fair enough.

While I am going through this with Tessa, she lives 5 hours away in Ottawa. It's so wonderful to be able to talk this through with her and send snaps to each other of our meals, but I still can't actually have her next to me to make meals with, and things like that. That's where Jordan comes in.

While Jordan has seriously enjoyed all of the meals I've been making and the constantly stocked refrigerator, he still has no interest in actually eating exactly like I've been eating.

Exhibit A:

<< My Meal>>
<< Jordan's Meal. Please note the cheese and hot sauce>>

He has also been known to make a batch of cookies and make our house smell like a freakin' dream (or in my case, nightmare), eat a chocolate bar while I am sitting next to him eating carrot sticks, and make me stop with him for pizza on our way home from rock climbing. True stories.

Does this bother me? Absolutely not. 

Why?

1. I actually am not bothered when someone is eating something around me that I currently cannot eat. I do find that when I have foods that I don't even give myself an option to eat then it's very easy for me to say no. So when I see these foods, even though they smell delicious, I know it's not even an option so I don't put too much thought into it. 

2. I made this decision for me. I need to have the strength to do it on my own, without someone else as my crutch. Besides that, forcing someone to do something is just going to make you both more miserable. This thing is enough work on it's own.

3. Jordan supports me in other ways. He makes me Whole30 compliant dinners, he spends hours in the kitchen with me helping me try new recipes, he cooks me chicken breasts when I don't have time to, and he helps me do mounds of dishes that he didn't even create. He has been so supportive during this thing. He is my biggest cheerleader and that makes me even more determined. I'm sure if it really did bother me to have cookies wafting through the house he would avoid that but he supports me eating what I want to eat so I'll do the same for him. 

In the end, what I'm getting at here, is that you don't need anyone else to make these changes. All you need is someone to support you while you do it. The rest is up to you. 

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Whole30 Loner Ranger


No comments:

Post a Comment