Thursday, April 17, 2014

Adventures in Networking

<< Willing spring to come back and looking like a professional in the process >>

Last night I went to an event for work. Women In Film and Television Toronto was hosting an advanced screening of The Grand Seduction. Afterwards they held a networking event and I attended for my job at Women Who Run It.

If you read my post yesterday, then you'll know that I was a bit scared to go to this event, but I said yes because I knew it would be a great opportunity for me.

I sat in the theatre alone a bit nervous, but still pushing myself to enjoy the moment, stop using my phone as a shield, and get the most out of this experience.

When a young, professional-looking girl sat next to me I introduced myself and chatted with her about the event. It was kind of cool to push myself out of my comfort zone and talk to a complete stranger.

The movie was really cute and staring at Taylor Kitsch for two straight hours didn't hurt either.

Afterwards we all made our way to the networking event. The girl I sat next to chatted with me for a bit. She was actually pretty amazing. She had lived in China, California and now Toronto. The things you can learn from new people I tell yah!

When I spotted Heather (the woman I was coming to meet) I politely excused myself and made my way over, eye on the prize. I introduced myself and the rest was cake! Heather introduced me to her whole team, we did an interview together, grabbed some photos, and  she pointed me in the right direction to grab another interview. Before I knew it it was 9:30 and the event was done!

Here's a couple of photos I grabbed from the event:

Moral of the story: I survived and even succeeded! I felt very accomplished walking out of there in my blazer and sensible heels. There may be hope for me yet!

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
New to Networking

No comments:

Post a Comment