Monday, April 14, 2014

Groceries for Grownups


Buying groceries is a love/hate thing for me.

I love being in control of everything I buy. I don't buy anything unhealthy (hey, there are enough temptations in the world without bringing them into my kitchen), and I'll admit I even get a bit of "Conveyer Belt Pride", as I call it, when I put all of my food on the conveyer belt at the check out and watch all my healthy food roll by. I've become a lot more food conscious over the past couple of years. I still love chocolate and the occasional "Health" Red Bull (aka zero calorie red bull), and I'll never turn down a gummy worm, but I've also  become a lot more knowledgeable about chemicals, what I put into my body, and where my food comes from.

Now to the hate part, I hate paying for it. There are ways to do it cheaper, but I find that when you shop mainly in produce, as I tend to, that the price tends to hike itself up easily. This is the price I pay for avoiding the sodium and chemicals of the canned food aisle. Also, I'm not a particularly inventive cook. I tend to eat breakfast for almost every meal, or some kind of panini. Eggs are an easy and tasty way to get my protein in and I could eat toast for any meal. I should probably work on that.

Here's what I got for $60.00:
-Apples
-Pears
-Globe Grapes
- Grapefruit
-Bananas
-Green Beans
-Corn
-Green Onions
-Asparagus
-Broccoli
-Green Pepper
-Unsalted Hazlenuts
-Turkey Bacon
-Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
-Brown Eggs
-Becel with Olive Oil
-COFFEE
Pretty expensive, but not too crazy considering everything I bought.

I found some great healthy recipes in a magazine last night so I think I'll try to recreate a few of those. I think my taste buds are sooo over eggs and toast. The moral of the story here is that I think I've progressed past the poor student Kraft Dinner diet, to the point where I'm reading labels and flipping through magazines for new recipes. How did I get here?

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Egg-celent Breakfast Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment