Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Say Yes, Say Yes


This is a little piece of advice that I have to constantly remind myself.

Yesterday my boss gave me the opportunity to attend an event for work. Number one, I should be totally stoked to be trusted and encouraged to attend events. Number two, this event is, for all intents and purposes, pretty cool. Unfortunately, the first thing that came to my mind was no.

Immediately I start thinking about how I could get out of it. What could be used as a good excuse?

I think I'm not completely out of line here when I say that I do not like networking. I don't feel comfortable introducing myself to strangers, being forced to come up with and continue meaningful conversation, and all this with a the idea of making my company look bad looming over my head. On top of that, when do you give out your business card? How do you switch the conversation over from business to pleasure?

I sure as heck don't know, but I typed in yes and hit send. Signed. Sealed. Delivered. Committed.

All of this bravery came from attending a weekend seminar a couple of weeks ago. I, as usual, didn't want to go, but I said yes and it brought me amazing things. I learned so much, I gained a ton of confidence, and I learned, above all, to say yes.

From now on I've decided to take the leap, say yes, and figure it out afterwards. If I continue to turn down new experiences then I will never get anywhere in this life.

That my friends, is how you grow.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Yes Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment