Monday, May 12, 2014

Moving Back Home 101

As you know I've recently moved out of my Toronto apartment and back into my parents home. I'm hoping to save up some money for a year, spend next summer in Europe, and be able to buy a house by next September. Pretty ambitious, but I'm also doing these things with my boyfriend so I guess I have a team member to help me along.

Moving home is probably not an ideal situation for a 22-year-old but it was in my plan when I initially moved to Toronto. I wanted to live in the city for a year and was planning on coming back home near the end if all things stayed the same.

I consider myself lucky enough to still have a place at home. Most people are out when they're out but my mom and stepdad welcomed me back with open arms. That being said, it's been a transition.

When moving home you need to:

1. Simplify
Bringing everything back was a struggle. It feels like this house is already packed to the gills, adding all my stuff has not been easy.

I've been trying to get rid of some things where I can. I've gone through some of my clothes to get rid of the stuff I never wear but have been keeping around because I am way too attached to my material goods. I love my clothes.

I plan on going through more clothes, getting rid of shoes and purses, and really simplifying.

2. Compromise
Being back at home means being under someone else's rules. This is hard for me because my favourite thing about being on my own is having so much independence.

Both my family and I have had to make compromises on things now that I'm back and while I'm still their kid, I'm an adult and value my independence.

I've set boundaries about my space and the fact that I am an adult and can technically do whatever I want but I also make sure to try to let my parents know I'm not dead in a gutter somewhere. The fact that I use their cars also makes checking in a necessity so they win there. I also try to help out where I can by doing dishes and doing things around the house and in return I get to live a rent free life with no trips to the grocery store on my part. Fair deal.

3. Have Your Own Space
Having a desk that was in my room was very important to me. I work from home and working from my parents house in the past has proved to be very distracting. I needed a desk in my room so that I could close the door and not be disturbed.
<< It may be crammed in a corner but I found space! >>

4. Make that space your own
I'm a nester through and through. I have always felt a need to decorate every corner of every space I've ever been in.

It's important to make the space that you do have your own and have a place that you actually want to spend time.

Here are some tidbits of my new space:

5. Enjoy it while you can
Hey friends, this is the last time in your life when you won't be paying rent, or a mortgage, or utilities, or having your meals regularly cooked for you.

Soak it up. It's never been so good.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
More Child Than Not These Days

No comments:

Post a Comment