Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Whole30 Day 1 and 2

Whole30 day one started off pretty promising:

I woke up pretty excited about the journey ahead and was even feeling optimistic when my coffee didn't taste as great without sweetener (I blended it up with coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon) or when I realized I needed to make ketchup or salsa ASAP but didn't have the ingredients.

I felt pretty full all during rock climbing that morning but when we got home mid afternoon I got seriously hangry. My hanger stemmed from the fact that I was starving and I knew that I had to actually make something. The hardest part I've found so far is that there isn't very much grab and go with the Whole30, not unless you want to subside on Larabars and fruit. I tried to keep myself happy with some almonds while I made this abomination for lunch:

Literally just potatoes and onions. Jordan keeps making fun of me because I love ketchup and I keep making things that go so well with ketchup. I'm making things harder on myself, I know.

Dinner didn't help much either since we were all having dinner at my mom's house and I had to special order a plain chicken breast and vegetables. The secret to my family's amazing cooking is that they put butter on everything. Eating the pre-buttered vegetables that I had to request made me realized that there are some veggies I don't actually like when they don't have butter on them. This is something I realized while staring at a mountain of turnip, still feeling hungry but unable to bring another bite to my mouth. Life is tough my friends.

Mostly I just felt hungry all day long yesterday. I tried to stave it off with snacks of fruit, cups of tea, and activities like making almond milk:

I still felt the need to be slightly miserable yesterday. Luckily Tessa is going through this with me and I had her to complain to/relate with (thanks for listening to me gripe, Tess!)

Today was a better. I woke up and was pretty dang happy. I mean, how could I not be:

Look at that scene guys, freaking fantastic.

I spent the morning cooking because this is my life now. I made eggs again, this time with onions because right now that's the only way I can think to add flavour. I started making chicken meatballs until I found out the ground chicken was still frozen so I tabled that until later tonight. With nothing to eat for lunch/dinner and since I knew I had to be well prepared today since I'm working 12-8 I got to work making the worlds most amazing pineapple salsa:

I don't know if this looks like much to you guys, maybe it even looks gross but I'm having an internal revolution right now. I'm actually not that big a fan of meat without ketchup, I know, I'm the worst. But I know I need to eat it or I'll never feel full again without wheat or dairy so I've gotta find ways to eat it and this salsa is everythinggggg.

For lunch I had two hard-boiled eggs wrapped in prosciutto. I don't know if that's weird but it was a great combo in my books and a seriously amazing source of protein. I've also been snacking on fruit and almonds to keep me going.

I'm feeling pretty positive on day two over here and I'm on my way to the grocery store after work which should only make things better.

Here's to the next 28 days, which by no means, do I think will be smooth, so prepare yourself to hear about that.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Recovering Ketchup Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment