Monday, August 26, 2013

The Move Out

*You actually couldn't move with all of my stuff in there!*

This weekend I moved out! It's pretty awesome so far and I've learned a lot along the way. Since I am here to do the dirty work, learn things the hard way and then pass on my wisdom, I'm gonna do just that.

Things I've learned while moving out:

1. You'll probably have to get rid of some things
     You can't see in the above picture, but I have A LOT of clothes and they most definitely didn't fit in my closet. After I got all of my clothes sorted out and most of them in the closet, I had to make some tough decisions. I had to pick some clothes to give away and I feel lighter already because of it. If you don't need something then don't keep it because odds are that you'll just bury it away and it will be as if you gave it away anyways.

2. You are going to forget things, lose them or break them
     This is an unfortunate but inevitable part of moving. I encountered all three. Try to be as organized as you can but know that this will probably happen. Once you take stock of what you have and don't have after you've moved then you can finally sort your life out. I forgot a lot of things and luckily I'm back home for the night so I can grab them...but I'll still probably forget things.

3. It will take a little bit to get used to roommates
     We've all got different schedules at my apartment so I have to get used to being conscious of what everyone is doing. Kristina is a bartender so she comes home at 3 or 4 in the morning sometimes and then will sleep late. This was the case Saturday night and I had to keep remembering to be quiet in the morning. I slammed my door twice and felt so bad about it. I guess this is all par for the course.

4. You will either become more or less annoyed with your parents
     So you know those things that your parents do that bother you? Well, those things may become even more annoying to you now because you now have somewhere else to go. The other possibility is that you'll miss those little quirks. I say enjoy them. Who would want them to change anyways?

5. It's going to feel great
     Even though I'm quick to let the stress of all this new responsibility create a big raincloud over me, I still remember to take a moment and enjoy it. As I was laying in my bed after my first night in my apartment I felt so happy because everything around me was mine. I am responsible for all of these great things in my life. I am independent. I created this life I'm living now. Pretty cool huh?

Enjoy yourself, prepare to lose, break or forget things, let yourself stress a little but overall look around and feel excited.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Apartment Dweller, Independent woman, Stressed but also impressed

No comments:

Post a Comment