Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Creating your new home

One of the hardest parts about moving out is trying to make it feel like home. I know that when I lived in the dorms for my first year of university that this was the hardest part for me. You want to create somewhere that feels like a salvation. This is a place for you to feel comfortable, at ease and completely yourself. My best suggestion for this is to decorate your new home to feel like it can be all of these things.

I feel like nowhere will ever be able to make me feel as comfortable as my parents house but I do feel like my new apartment is a close second. I've decorated (maybe even over decorated) to the point where I feel like I want to be here. It's beautiful to me and completely comfortable. My biggest focus has been my bedroom because it's my place. It's the only space that I don't have to share so it's been the most important to me.

Here are some peaks into my new sanctuary:
I didn't want to recreate my old bedroom. I wanted to build a new space that reflects who I am now. I got a new bedspread and have really changed things from my room at my parents house.
My desk was one of my most important focuses of my room. Remember my post Where do you Work?  Well this is an example of a space that is both beautiful and functional. It holds everything I need but also inspires me. My clipboards have things on them that I find beautiful, or inspiring and just plain cute. 
Don't forget to remind yourself of who makes you who you are with things around your space like pictures and gifts from those you love. The picture includes my two best friends and the owl vase was a gift from my sister.
Just have fun! This is your space. No one can tell you what to do with it. Clash colours, mix patterns, choose your own art and just have fun! 

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Interior Decorator Extrordinaire, Ruler of her abode

No comments:

Post a Comment