Sunday, November 24, 2013

Homesickness

<< This picture reminds me so much of living at home this time last year >>

So a crazy thing happened over this past weekend: I felt homesick. This was a feeling that I was not expecting seeing as I basically ran out the door without looking back.

I was missing the comfort of home, the home cooked meals and the warm freedom of having a car and most importantly: the people. I wanted so badly to just spend the day on the couch with the people I love but instead I was on my own couch, feeling sorry for myself and crying (wahh wahh wahh).

Eventually I pulled myself out of my funk but I've come up with a list of things to do when you are feeling the tug of home as well.

1. Call home
    So…this may have made me a little more homesick but it was still something I needed to do. It felt good to hear the voices I was missing.

2. Plan a time when you can go home
    Give yourself something to look forward to and something that will help ease your homesickness. I've been home this weekend and it's been a nice, relaxing break from my life of work, work, work in Toronto.

3. Do something to make yourself feel better
    You may be planning a trip home soon but that won't help you right now. Journal, watch a funny movie, bake some cookies, go for a nice long jog, do something that will occupy you and be a little therapeutic.

4. Spend some time with a friend
    If you can't be near the people you love at home, surround yourself with the people you love who are near you. Remember who is important and around you right now.

5. Make a list of things that you are grateful for in your current situation
    Whether you write it down or just take a mental note, remind yourself about things that you are grateful for in your current surroundings. I reminded myself about all of the things that I love about my life away from home and that made me feel a bit better.

Of course, being away from the warm comforts of home for one of the first times in your life will inevitably lead you to miss it, especially when you're having a hard day. Don't let it get you down. Enjoy your life as it is now and consider yourself lucky that you have a wonderful home to miss.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Half adult/half baby (but I'm working on it)

No comments:

Post a Comment