Thursday, September 12, 2013

When you're going further than across town

I've told you guys how to get around a city but now I'm going to help you get across cities. There are so many different ways to travel great distances and while it can all seem very complicated, it will get clearer! I promise you!

Yesterday I decided to head to my hometown a day early because I had to take a bus home and wanted to get that over with as soon as possible. Lucky for you guys, I made lots of mistakes that you won't need to make in the future because I made them for you. You're lucky I'm here to do all that dirty work you guys!

There is a GO Station near my apartment but I decided to head downtown to Union Station instead because I was hoping I could get a more direct bus home from there. Boy was I wrong. Heading downtown was my first mistake. To get to Union Station I took one bus and two subways just to get there. Why did I choose to do this? Because I was unsure about the GO Station near me (how to use it) and was too lazy to do too much research. Yeah...learn from my mistakes...I can't stress it enough.

Once I got downtown I bought the next bus ticket home. Because I wanted to get as close to home as possible I bought a ticket that had me changing buses in Mississauga. And so my journey began:


It took me about an hour to get from the downtown core to my first bus stop in Mississauga:


In Mississauga I had to wait about 30 minutes so I ran to a nearby Whole Foods to grab a snack:


This was only good part of my journey. It rained as I was walking to my bus stop and then I had to huddle in a shelter with a bunch of strangers while hugging my macarons. 

Our bus eventually came and then I could finally be on my way to my final destination while enjoying my sweet treats. In all it took me 4 hours, one bus, two subways, two Greyhound buses and one car ride from my kind grandmother to get home. It was quite the debacle for a trip that usually takes an hour at most by car. 

Now that I have lived that crazy ride, I can give you some good advice for traveling far distances:

1. Do Your Research
    A little more research would have done a world of difference for me. I did look into things a bit but if I would have looked a little harder I would have seen that there was definitely an easier way. If I had gone to the GO Station near me I could have taken a train and then a bus and probably gotten home in half the time.

2. Look at your price options
    Traveling this way was super cheap. All it took me was one bus token (about $2.00) and one bus ticket ($14.40) This was definitely ideal for someone like myself who doesn't have a lot of cash coming in at the moment but make sure to do your research. Maybe for a few dollars extra I would have been able to get home in half the time. Weigh those options and pick what's best for you.

3. Pack Lightly
    I wouldn't say I overpacked, but I did have a slightly inconvenient bag for my trip. Yes, I needed all of the things I brought, but it wasn't fun lugging all my stuff over so many different forms of public transportation. If you need to bring a lot home make sure that you take a more convenient bag or just plain pack less.

I will definitely be figuring something different out in the future for my trips home but this was a good learning experience. If yesterday brought me nothing else, it at least brought me some independence. It was nice to know that I could figure everything out on my own. 

Now kids, go forth and get places (hopefully in the most convenient and easiest way possible!)

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Road Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment