Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Networking

This week I am attending Social Media Week Toronto. It's a great conference that's free to attend. I'm attending for my job as Associate Editor and today I saw three presentations. Besides all of the amazing knowledge that I'm getting to learn, this is a great opportunity for networking.

This conference has so many different kinds of speakers from entrepreneurs, to people in sales and analytics, to my personal favourite, journalists!

There are tons of different ways to network.

1. You can approach the person and give them a business card and make yourself memorable to them.
    This is ideal because you get to see the person face to face. You can engage with them, make them laugh, tell them a short and memorable story and definitely make sure that you are being heard by them.

Unfortunately...I can be a bit shy so I went with a different approach:

2. Reach out to them through social media.
   When you don't get a chance to speak to them because they are busy or because you can be a bit of a scardy cat (*sheepishly raises hand*) then you can talk to them over social media. I chose the social media route because hey...this is social media week so it was a bit more appropriate (this might not be the case in every setting).

Here's my tweet and responses:



Yup! I got a response back and a retweet from a fellow journalist and a favourite from another. Both were men who I loved listening to. Their advice and passions really inspired me.

The issue with social media is a) it may not always be appropriate and b) the reader may not always read your tweet.

The great thing about my social media networking experience was that it gave me a chance to get into some people's radars and I also was favourited and followed by other people in social media because of my use of hashtags and the fact that I was retweeted.

Networking is no longer what it used to be, it can come in many different forms so try them all. You may not know when these tiny little connections can help you in the future!

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Social Media Savvy due to Shyness

No comments:

Post a Comment