Friday, July 1, 2016

DIY Couch Table


When Jordan and I went to buy the wood for our headboard I picked up a piece of wood for a project of my own.

I had fallen deeply in love with this couch table when I saw it here

I showed anyone who would look this amazing piece and declared proudly that "I'm going to make that for myself!" We bought the wood and then I was fully committed. 

The table looked pretty easy to make so I drew up some simple plans with Jordan using our couch to decide the measurements. 

The first thing we did was cut the wood.

Word to the wise: bad things happen when you stand down wind from a saw. 

Next step was to give it a good stain. I used the same stain from our headboard a) because it's just economical and b) because its a b-e-a-utiful deep, stain that I'm completely smitten with.

I then enlisted Jordan's help to screw the thing together. This was probably the trickiest part of the whole endeavour. It involved a good amount of team work to make sure you were holding everything together and keeping it straight while the other person screwed.

Ta-dah:

The last step was my least favourite of all: varathane. 

Here's a little something about me: I'm pretty impatient and I love instant gratification. This does not always go well with projects, but I push myself anyways.

I knew I wanted a really glossy finish on my table and I knew my impatience would keep me from sitting around putting coats of see-through goo upon coats of see-through goo. I thought I could bypass this by buying a more expensive varathane that boasted a 1 coat finish while the other varathanes  called for 3. The joke was on me because I ended up having to do 3 coats. This ended up being the longest process of all as I left a day for drying in between coats. You also have to sand in between coats- sanding is the bane of my existence (for reasoning: see my love of instant gratification vs the basic non-existent visable change of sanding).

I pushed through and I'm glad I did because I am now the happy owner of a beautiful couch table that I brought to life from a simple picture.

Now to go convince Jordan that we need to build a new coffee table....

From the desk of: 

Taylor Brown
Future Ron Swanson 

No comments:

Post a Comment