Monday, April 4, 2016

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone


In the last month I've been getting into yoga a bit. I've been trying it out at home and I have really been enjoying it. I do a short 30 minute youtube video and it's a nice way to feel like I'm both working out and getting some me-time in where I'm disconnected from my phone and tv and focusing on my body and how I'm feeling.

Today I'm going to go to a yoga class at my rock climbing gym and while I've done yoga before, I'm not going to lie, it's making me super anxious. I had plans to go with a friend but she had to cancel so I'm flying solo. This is giving me a wild amount of anxiety you guys, a wild amount. I would probably have completely written off the idea of going immediately after my friend cancelled by they ask you to book a spot so I've literally had my mouse hovering over the cancel booking all day.

I just keep thinking: what if I'm running late? What if I walk into the wrong room? What if I walk in to the right room late and everyone is on their mats already and everyone looks at me like "hey jerk, we're finding inner peace here!" and then I can't find a spot for my mat? WHAT IF GUYS!?

What a serious amount of anxiety for a workout that is supposed to "centre" you. But guess what, I'm going anyways. I'm going to push away the thought that I still have to drive there, check in, get dressed and find the dang room in the thirty short minutes between when work ends and when I get there.

I'm gonna do it.

This may be a completely useless and trivial blog post but maybe it's also something you feel too and you need to remember when you want to try something new, especially without the security blanket of another person there.

In all hopes I'll be back on here tomorrow telling you how awesome yoga was and how I didn't embaress myself.

Cheers to social anxiety, y'all!

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Nahmastay at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment