Sunday, December 29, 2013

Home is Wherever I'm With You


I've always been someone who has had big dreams for myself. When I was in the 8th grade I was convinced that I was going to move to New York City one day and be a big city girl. When I was in high school I got accepted to Carleton University in Ottawa and excited by the idea of some kind of city life, I moved 6 hours away from my family. Unfortunately, I became very homesick and although I met tons of amazing people and had some amazing experiences that I wouldn't trade for anything, I made the decision to transfer to a school closer to home.

My need to be near a city never faltered though and that is why I moved myself to Toronto this year. What I didn't realize though, is that while I've always had something inside pulling me away, I also have something inside me that pulls me back home. I know that it's because the people I love are there. It's hard because I've finally gone off and created something for myself in Toronto but I also find myself missing home and the people I love a lot. Thank god I brought Erika here with me or I'd probably be a mess.

These feelings are pretty confusing for me. Right now I'm chalking a lack of love that I'm feeling for Toronto up to the fact that I work too much and the fact that it's too darn cold to go anywhere! This leaves me with a lot of questions of what I want to do/what I should do when my lease expires this year. I know that when September comes I'll make the decision that's best for me but boy, it sure is hard having your heartstrings pulled from far away.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
Big City Girl with a Small Town Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment